Join the Europractice Mailing List
Home > Software > Coventor
|MEMS+||CoventorWare||Teaching Licenses||Hardware Requirements|
|SEMulator3D||Evaluation Licenses||How to Order|
MEMS+ v6.3 is now available and contains a number of enhancements including:
- Easier Design Entry
Design entry has been improved during MEMS+ parametric model construction, within the export function of the CoventorWare user interface, and to better support MEMS Process Design Kits (PDKs). These improvements include MEMS+ Process Editor enhancements, upgrades to the Innovator interface and a new capability to automatically and quickly construct a MEMS+ 3D schematic from imported GDS file data.
- Improved Modeling Accuracy and Functionality
The MEMS+ Component Library has been enhanced to improve the accuracy of device models and extend the types of devices that can be modeled. Improvements to the split comb stator models (useful in gyro design), extruded brick meshing of suspension components, customization of gas damping in rigid structure perforations (useful in MEMS microphone design) and a new option to include piezo-resistive (PZR) effects on beam structures has been added.
- New Advanced Analysis Capabilities
MEMS+ Simulator includes new, built-in analysis capabilities as part of the Advanced Sensor Modeling module. These new capabilities include non-linear AC analysis (useful for modeling acoustic devices and MEMS scanning mirrors), pull-in and frequency hysteresis analysis (capable of predicting system instabilities) and advanced noise analysis (suitable for computing Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) of microphones and other sensors).
SEMulator3D 7.0 is a major release that includes new functionality and performance improvements. The new SEMulator3D Viewer features a completely new direct rendering algorithm, which enables more accurate model visualization as well as dramatically improved performance on very large models :
- Faster loading, interaction, construction and exporting of very large models, such as 3D NAND devices and large silicon area models.
- Generation of higher fidelity images at material junctions, with more accurate modeling of material intersections.
Coventor are offering Europractice members a free 30-day evaluation license of their products. This will allow new users to evaluate any Coventor product and existing users to evaluate additional products. If you wish to take advantage of this offer, please contact the Microelectronics Support Centre at RAL.
SEMulator 3D now available at reduced cost
The Microelectronics Support Centre at STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory is pleased to announce that SEMulator3D from Coventor is now available at reduced cost. This powerful 3D semiconductor and MEMS process modeling platform plus two complementary additional modules are available. Further details below
MEMS+MEMS+ provides a standard methodology for MEMS+IC design. Interfacing to the Cadence Virtuoso and the MathWorks MATLAB and Simulink environments, it provides a common platform and efficient methodology for MEMS and IC designers, bridging the gap between the accuracy required by MEMS designers and the simulation speed required by ASIC designers It enables MEMS designers to explore device concepts and optimize designs much faster than using conventional field solvers.
Users select parametric elements from the library to assemble their design and simulate their designs in a built-in simulator, MathWorks MATLAB and Simulink, or Cadence Virtuoso. After simulating, users visualize and animate the simulation results in 3D.
As an optional extra to MEMS+ users can purchase the Advanced Sensor Modelling package which enables the export simplified models in Verilog-A or MROM format. These models can then be analysed in simulators such as Virtuoso/Spectre or MATLAB/Simulink. Also included in this bundle is the ability to import Finite Element models into MEMS+.
|–||MEMS Component Library||Extensive library of MEMS components.|
|–||3D MEMS Design Entry (Innovator)||Intuitive, 3D user interface that makes design entry easy and fast.|
|–||Scene3D||MEMS Simulation result animation.|
|–||MEMS+ for MathWorks||MEMS design in MathWorks MATLAB and Simulink, from concept to system simulation.|
|–||MEMS+ for Cadence||MEMS design and co-simulation in Cadence Virtuoso.|
MEMS+ is based on a unique MEMS-specific library of high-order, parametric finite elements. These elements provide the accuracy and generality of finite-element analysis (FEA) yet runs extremely fast compared to conventional FEA. Designers can simulate their entire MEMS device, including gas damping effects and control circuitry. With MEMS+, designers can run time-dependent and closed-loop simulations that reveal dynamic behavior that here-to-fore could only be observed and quantified through time-consuming measurements on prototypes.
|With MEMS+ for MathWorks, designs created in MEMS+ Innovator are immediately available as Simulink compatible models. MEMS+ supports system simulation in Simulink and device simulation in MATLAB, of the MEMS device and its surrounding signal processing or control circuits. MEMS+ for MathWorks expands the available analysis capabilities from pure transient simulations to DC, DC transfer, Modal and AC analysis. MATLAB or Simulink simulation results can be loaded back into the MEMS+ Scene3D module for 3-D viewing.||With MEMS+ for Cadence, designs created in MEMS+ Innovator can be automatically converted into IC compatible models and parametric layout (PCells) for the Cadence Virtuoso design environment. MEMS+ for Cadence supports MEMS+IC co-simulation in Spectre and SpectreRF where the simulator will connect, via the Cadence C Model Interface (CMI), with the MEMS+ component library to evaluate the MEMS behavioral model at each simulation point. Simulation results can be loaded into the MEMS+ Scene3D module for 3-D viewing.|
Coventor's MEMS+ design platform accelerates the development of
complex 3D systems with state-of-the-art actuators, accelerometers
and gyroscopes, microphones and other types of MEMS devices.
With MEMS+ you can:
- Rapidly explore design concepts versus performance specifications such as sensitivity, linearity, frequency response, or actuation time.
- Predict performance sensitivity to design and manufacturing variables.
- Optimize designs for performance, temperature insensitivity, manufacturability, and yield.
- Perform transient simulations of MEMS actuators with fully coupled electro-mechanics and squeezed-film damping effects.
- Simulate closed-loop behavior of sensors and resonators in Simulink.
- Simulate MEMS and electronics (ICs) together in the Cadence Virtuoso environment.
- Predict signal-to noise ratio for MEMS microphones.
- Include package and substrate deformation effects on MEMS device performance.
- Selectively exclude non-linear electro-mechanical effects to optimize simulation speed.
- View 3D animations of mode shapes, time-harmonic behavior, and transient analyses.
CoventorWare, with MEMS extended analyses
CoventorWare is a fully integrated MEMS design environment. The suite has many MEMS-specific features for modeling and simulating a wide range of MEMS devices, including inertial sensors (accelerometers and gyros) microphones, resonators, and actuators. The included field solvers provide comprehensive coverage of MEMS-specific multi-physics, such as electrostatics, coupled electro-mechanics, piezoelectric, piezoresistive, and damping effects.
The Coventor front end includes:
- A material properties database, pre-populated with commonly used MEMS materials.
- A process editor for providing a geometric description of the fabrication process.
- A full-featured, hierarchical layout editor with MEMS-specific features like support for true curves.
- A preprocessor for viewing 3D models and preparing them for analysis.
- 2D and 3D import/export to widely used formats like GDS2, DXF, SAT, IGES and STEP.
- Mesh generation and export to Ansys.
Many MEMS devices rely on coupling between electrostatic fields and moving mechanical parts as their principle of operation, whether for sensing, actuation, or transduction. These electrostatic fields can be simulated with extremely high accuracy with the solvers, in order to accurately predict derived quantities such as electrostatic force, pull-in/lift-off voltage and electrostatic spring softening.
Simulated displacement due to fabrication-induced
residual stress in mechanical layer of an accelerometer.
The CoventorWare suite of FEM / BEM solvers allow:
- Modal analysis.
- Quasi-static coupled electro-mechanics (pull-in, lift-off, electrostatic spring softening).
- Harmonic analysis.
- Fast-frequency-sweep algorithm for piezoelectric BAW resonators.
- Gas damping for any 3D geometry.
- Energy dissipation from thermo-elastic damping and anchor losses.
- Sensitivity analysis of piezo-resistive sensors.
- Detailed stress analysis.
CMOS -MEMS cross section view.
SEMulator3D is a powerful 3D semiconductor and MEMS process modeling platform that offers wide ranging technology development capabilities. Based on highly efficient physics-driven voxel modeling technology, SEMulator3D has a unique ability to model complete process flows.
Using unique physics-driven 3D modeling technology, the SEMulator3D modeling engine can model a wide variety of unit process steps. Each process step requires only a few geometric and physical input parameters that are easy to understand and calibrate. Just as in an actual fab, upstream unit process parameters (such as deposition conformality, etch anisotropy, selectivity, etc.) interact with each other and design data in a complex way to impact the final device structure.
SEMulator3D Viewer shows a 3D rendering of the virtual device model at every step in the process. Step-by-step visualization can aid in understanding process failure modes and other complex process phenomena. Cross-sectioning and dimensional measurements can be performed anywhere on the 3D model. SEMulator3D Viewer has many advanced capabilities, including automatic animation of process steps and automatic export to Microsoft PowerPoint.
|SEMulator3D Advanced Modelling||SEMulator3D Automation|
|The SEMulator3D Advanced Modeling package is a powerful, predictive modeling tool to build process understanding, mitigate technology risk and eliminate cycles of learning in technology development. With minimal input parameters, process engineers can gain significant understanding of the behavior and variability of step in the context of the full technology flow.
For further information on SEMulator3D Advanced Modelling:
|The SEMulator3D Automation package enables automated parameter variation studies and related data analysis, and includes both SEMulator3D Metrology and SEMulator3D Expeditor. SEMulator3D Metrology mimics actual metrology operations, providing in-line measurements of device structure. SEMulator3D Expeditor performs parameter variation studies, collecting related data for analysis.
For further information on SEMulator3D Automation:
Hardware and System Requirements
CovenrtorMP: Supported platforms are Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6.8 64-bit
SEMulator3D: Supported platforms are Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and 7 64-bit
For further information on the CoventorWare hardware requirements, please visit the Coventor web site:
Coventor Classroom Teaching Licenses
The Microelectronics Support Centre at RAL is pleased to offer Coventor Classroom Teaching Licenses to Europractice members.
Europractice Coventor Classroom Teaching licenses are intended for institutes to do mass class teaching of their students, in cases where they have too few regular Europractice non-commercial research and training license seats for that purpose. The Classroom Teaching licenses will be subject to all the usage restrictions of the regular Europractice Coventor licenses.
Teaching licenses are available for the following products:
|–||MEMS+ Complete (MEMS+ for both Cadence & MathWorks)|
|–||CoventorMP (CoventorWare plus either MEMS+ for Cadence or MEMS+ for MathWorks)|
|–||CoventorWare, with MEMS extended analyses|
Teaching licenses comprise 5 full licenses. Teaching licenses are purchased on a yearly basis, there is no annual maintenance. As part of the ordering procedure, universities must supply a syllabus and/or a weblink to the proposed training course.
Please note, the MEMS+ Advanced Sensor Modelling package option is not available for teaching licenses.
The Coventor Classroom Teaching Licenses prices and software order forms can be accessed via the Europractice Members Only webpages. The Coventor Compliance Screening form must also be completed. Please
see a link to the Compliance Screening form, and to guidance on how to complete it, below (second "MANDATORY DOCUMENTS..." section).
How to Order
Orders are placed with the vendor on a single order, once per month. To be included in the current month's order, all documents including original ink-signed paper End User Agreements (if applicable) must be received by the Microelectronics Support Centre no later than the 25th day of the month.
Detailed instructions on how to place an order are given in our Order Procedures.
If you are interested in Coventor Low-Cost Classroom Teaching Licenses please click here (login required).
MANDATORY DOCUMENTS FOR ALL ORDERS
- Coventor Order Form (login required) 1 copy, electronic copy via e-mail accepted, and
- Purchase Order 1 copy, electronic copy via e-mail accepted
MANDATORY DOCUMENTS FOR FIRST TIME ORDER FROM THIS VENDOR ONLY
- Coventor End User Agreement for Academic Institutes TWO copies each with signatures in ink, electronic copies NOT accepted, paper originals must be sent to the Microelectronics Support Centre via courier recommended, see Order form for address
- Coventor End User Agreement for Research Laboratories Instructions as per Agreement for Academic Institutes
- Coventor Compliance Screening form one copy with signatures in ink, other instructions as per Agreement for Academic Institutes
- Guidance on completing Compliance Screening form
- End Usage Statement for Vendor Approval required when ordering first licenses of any new license bundle, 1 copy, electronic copy via e-mail accepted, can be sent in advance of other paperwork
STATEMENT FROM RESEARCH LABORATORIES
PLEASE ENSURE that you read the End User Agreement Notes before downloading the End User Agreements
- Software price list (login required)
- Maintenance price list (login required)
- Software Versions and Operating Systems
|Last modified: April 03, 2018|